Wednesday 6 February 2013

Do you Facebook? Yes? Recently?


Do you Facebook? What am I saying, of course you do. You Facebook all the time. Well, you might, but according to recent research undertaken by the Pew Internet Research Group, 60% of people do not log on to Facebook regularly and have taken breaks of a few weeks or more. Some people said they just needed a Facebook “vacation”, others just weren't interested any more  The largest group of people say they couldn't be bothered to go on Facebook as they were too busy doing other things. This is fascinating, as although Facebook is clearly the most popular and dominant social media network ever created, take up to the site has slowed down dramatically in the last few years or so. People create accounts, then just drift off and occasionally log back in to spy on their friends and relative’s holiday pictures. Something which I have never, ever done by the way. Ever.

So what can Facebook do to stem this tide of apathy? They have introduced a sort of global search based upon people’s personal preferences. This could be very powerful and people tend to not trust stuff they find on Google but will trust things that their friends can vouch for. Facebook could also make an accessible mobile version for Android phones. What, you say there is one already? Are you referring to that sack of dicks currently pretending to be a mobile version? No. Just no.

I was very late to the scene on Facebook when I joined in 2009. I only joined because I was getting so many emails asking me to join up that I had a small yet powerful psychotic episode where I joined Twitter and Facebook, got an iPhone, and burned an unoccupied barn to the ground in Grantham during the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment